Location: Ambedkar Bheedhi, Sampangi Rama Nagara, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560001.
The Vidhana Soudha (lit. ’Legislative House’) in Bangalore, India, is the seat of the bicameral state legislature of Karnataka. It is constructed in a style described as Neo-Dravidian, and incorporates elements of various Dravidian styles. The construction was completed in 1956.
The two houses of legislature of the princely state of Mysore, the legislative assembly and the legislative council, were established in 1881 and 1907 respectively. Sessions of the two houses took place in Mysore (with joint sessions taking place in the Bangalore Town Hall) until India’s independence from British rule on 15 August 1947, when Mysore acceded to India. The state’s capital was shifted to Bangalore; the two houses moved into the Attara Kacheri, a British-built building in Cubbon Park that housed the High Court of Mysore.
The foundation stone of the building was laid by Jawaharlal Nehru, the first prime minister of India, on 13 July 1951. The structure was planned to be a two-storeyed building housing the assembly and the council.